I sit down at my computer,
pull up the canvas login page. I then open up a few more tabs:
Facebook, Twitter, some of the blogs I follow, my email, and my YouTube
account. I then begin to check my notifications, read posts, and stalk
the people on my news feed before finally logging into the canvas page to start
on my homework. Social media has greatly changed the way that we
communicate. It has created a way for us to reach more people in less
time. A way that people can tell their stories whether they are a humble
USU student like me, or Beyoncé.
Social media has made many positive impacts on communication.
Investigators are able to find criminals through the post they make on their
social media bragging about what they have done. Politicians and
businesses are able to advertise and reach many people in no time at all.
Almost everyone can access the internet whether it is from a public library or
your IPhone. It is the most effective way to keep in contact with people
who are spread all around the world. I am able talk to family members
that live in Seattle, San Diego, and Denver all at the same time on
Facebook. In the case of an emergency social media makes it extremely
easy for you to notify your friends and family that you are alright, and all
that is required is a device and internet access.
Although
there are so many great things that social media has done for our
communication, it can make it a little less personal. It can be very
distracting from what is going on around you in the moment, and your in person
communication can suffer if you are constantly on your phone or computer.
In communication through social media it can also be difficult to express real
human emotion. One way we have adapted to show emotion through social
media is using emoji. Emoji are little images that are often face
expressions to help the person you are communicating with understand your
feelings just as your face expression would in person.
One
other problem with communication through social media is that lines between work
and home life are becoming blurred. Many employers have banned social
media from their office space because people cannot get any work done when they
have their social media out. For an example of this I could use this blog
post. It took me about a half an hour to get started on it after I sat at
my computer because I had to get on my Facebook and Twitter before doing
anything else. You could easily make an argument that myself and others
of my generation are addicted to social media. I am not saying social
media is good or bad form of communication, but it has a huge impact on our
society, and whether you like it or not it’s here to stay.
No comments:
Post a Comment