Monday, January 27, 2014

SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORM: INSTAGRAM

A little over two years ago I downloaded this app called Instagram.  A friend referred it to me, telling me she used it to edit her photos.  I began using the app just to use the filters for my photos not really realizing the social side of the platform.  I had one follower, and I posted probably ten times a day.  Today that would be pretty much social suicide if you posted that often, unless you are Beyoncé, and can do whatever you want.  Since this time, Instagram has transformed into a huge social media platform.  It has many uses that I believe are pretty awesome to say the least, and I would like to tell you a little bit about them. 



 About one third of the accounts that I follow belong to retail companies, celebrities, restaurants, or even fashion bloggers.  I find out about sales or events through Instagram before any other medium.  I keep up to date on what is going on in other places, what the fashion trends are, when tickets for concerts go on sale all through my Instagram account. 
Marketing through Instagram is the future.  A picture is worth a thousand words and Instagram is the perfect why to show off products.  It is also great for promoting events, sales, connecting with the customers, taking them behind the scenes, showing office area, manufacturing area and introducing employees, or new ideas the company is working on. 




Not only is there the marketing aspect of Instagram, but it also makes it pretty easy for you to track a person.  This very beneficial if you like to "stalk" that one special person in your spare time.  Their Instagram posts can show where and when the photo was taken.  You can learn a ton about a person you follow because as I said previously, A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.  Instagram also makes it super easy to get a whole collection of pictures of that certain someone, and even if they block you on Instagram you can still look at your collection of screen shots!
One feature that is especially helpful when creeping on someone is called photo map.  This shows where all their photos are taken.  So if you do not know where the person of interest lives, there is a good chance the majority of their photos will be collected around their home or work.


 
Now we know where she works!



At this point you may be wondering where she is going with this.  With Instagram, I encourage you to figure out all of the features, and work them to your advantage.  Whether it is finding out when the sale starts at your favorite store, or just getting more connected to your college campus and their activities.  I also believe you need to be aware of what you are posting, and how much of your personal information or location your followers are able to see, because the danger is real.  Instagram is a great social media platform and if you do not already have one, I highly recommend you download the app today!  Instagram is the future of marketing!


oursocialtimes.com 
huffingtonpost.com
socialmediaexaminer.com
cultureofsafety.com


4 comments:

  1. I've never really thought of Instagram as a marketing center. It's true though, pictures are a great way to capture people's interests. It would make sense to use it to advertise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with what you said about being able to track people. It is definitely something that people need to be mindful of. I have seen a lot of people that post their vacation photos, which is fine, but it is important to understand that risk that you are creating. If people know that you are not home, they may be plotting to rob you or something.
    I am curious how much more safe people are if they have their private setting on. I would love to find some stats about that.

    Another thing that I really liked in your post was when you mentioned how many Instragram pictures you would take each day. I loved what you said. If you are a celebrity, you could probably get away with several selfies a day. However, that may not be the case with everyone else. I know that the times that I have posted multiple things on Instagram during a day, I am very mindful of what others might think.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was very interested in this post because Instagram has become my favorite social media platform. The single snapshot of what someone is doing is tiny clip into their lives and I love staying connected to my friends this way. I like that you talked about the positive and negative aspects of Instagram, although people may fall in love with a source of gratification from this site, they do need to be careful about how they are using it. I appreciate your excellent writing, the organization of it all helped me to stay interested, as you transitioned to the new topics you discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A picture says a thousand words, and instagram definitely has a lot of pictures.
    I think there are some good things and bad things about instagram, but there is no such thing as perfect.

    Just a personal rant of mine, but it always drives me crazy to see people go to events and just take instagram pictures the entire time. Then they miss like 90% of the things happening around them!

    ReplyDelete