In my social media class we had a class cloud day. Going into the experience, I had no idea what it would be like or what would happen. I was just expecting us to go in there and talk to each other on twitter. We did do this, but we also did communicate with many people outside of our class limits. I had no idea to the extent how people will interact with you or answer questions on twitter.
I tweeted a question pertaining to LinkedIn with the hash tag of our class #socmeddiscuss. I had man respond within the hour with a few comments.
@madelindsey for LinkedIn quality is far greater than quantity! Make each post count! #socmeddiscuss
— Ryan Miller (@RMILLER51) March 4, 2014
This could be very helpful if I had a valid question I
needed help answering. I tried to
contact Beyoncé but sadly was not able to reach her.
Social media pros and cons through advertising @Beyonce #socmeddiscuss
— Madeline Lindsey (@madelindsey) March 4, 2014
An interesting thing I learned was that by having a team of
people working on a common goal can help you get feedback or attention through
twitter. During the class we tried to
get our hashtag to trend in Utah. We
were unsuccessful in this but we were able to get it to be a top trend in Cache
County by working together and having everyone tweeting about it. As a class we also tried to contact Ellen DeGeneres,
but we were unable too, but I do believe in a different circumstance having a
group of people trying to contact a person of influence like Ellen, increases
the chance that they will respond.
This experience really united our
class, creating inside jokes from our attempts to contact Ellen as well as
remake the Oscars picture. We got many
great pictures out of this. There were
often several conversations and jokes going through twitter between different
students in the class. This was
interesting because we were having conversations over social media as well as
in person in our class room. I also
gained a few followers while tweeting during the class. It may have been because many of our class
members were tweeting at me and retweeting my tweets. I also lost a few followers, probably because
I was clogging their twitter feed with attempts to contact a few of my favorite
celebrities: Obviously Ellen, Beyoncé,
but Lana Del Rey, Rihanna, and I may have tweeted at crispy cream doughnuts as
well.
@krispykreme I'm so hungry right now :( #Socmeddiscus
— Madeline Lindsey (@madelindsey) March 4, 2014
It is pretty awesome how fast you can get a response through
twitter and how complete strangers can join the conversation. In the business world this would be so easy
to connect with other organizations and get input from others by using this
tactic and a team of tweeters. You can
contact anyone from anywhere in the world (that I know of, maybe not North
Korea?) through twitter. I have
completely underestimated the good a twitter account and someone managing it
can do for it in an organization, small business or even huge corporation.


No comments:
Post a Comment